It can be a very challenging task to move from a large family home to a smaller abode. With these decorating ideas your new home can be stylish and comfortable.
(1) Only bring home furnishings that will fit and look good in the new space. To determine these items use a scaled floor plan of your new property and sketch in a furniture layout. Plans can be easily acquired from your real estate agent or on their website. Only keep furniture that is the right scale for the room, to ensure the room feels open and uncluttered.
(2) Optimise the space with customised furniture and storage as it fits better than ready made furniture. Consider floor to ceiling streamlined cabinets along the length of one wall, as this can be used for storage and provide space for TV and displays. If the cabinetry is the same colour as the walls the space will appear bigger.
(3) A clever trick to make a small space appear bigger is to bring the outside in. This is achieved by choosing colour palettes and natural materials that complement the view from windows and doors. The inside flooring can be the same as the outside area to achieve a seamless transition and to make the space appear larger.
(4) When selecting new furniture it needs to be mobile and flexible. Consider nestle tables that can be stacked, ottomans with inbuilt storage and sectional sofas.
5) If you are at the planning stage of your move, I would recommend using a downsizing checklist. Here is a checklist that will ensure you have a smooth transition into your new home.
For further assistance with downsizing, Zest Interior Design can provide furniture layouts, colour and styling advice, design customised storage, organise window coverings, and select furnishings for your new home.
All photos have been sourced from Houzz.